The Historic Occidental Hotel was built in 1873 – 1874. Renovated in 1980, the Occidental still mirrors its original appearance both on the exterior and interior, yet provides functional and stylish office and restaurant space for lease. Historically it is significant in that it is the oldest commercial brick structure in the city, the only remaining building of the “Cowtown” era and the only documented building still standing from the City’s incorporation in 1870 to 1885. Referred to as the “Grand Hotel”, cattle barons, statesmen, politicians, and celebrities including Army Major General Philip Sheridan, Chisholm Trail supporter Joseph McCoy, and outlaw Frank James, to name a few, have signed its registers for lodging and likely took part in the famous poker games that were often held in room 12. It is reported that the social life of those days in Wichita were centered around the Occidental Hotel and the history pages of Wichita and southwest Kansas included many accounts written about this historic landmark.
Reception area in Suite 204 and southeast office
For more information call 316-262-3331.